What’s Going On?
Early May 2009, Tehbotol Sosro has been attacked by hoax in internet stating that TehBotol contain dangerous chemical named Hydroxcilic Acid, which brought some victims.
This Hoax is spreading very fast though personal email, mailing list, blog and even SMS which create some worried to consumers, and lead them to increasing instant sales drop.
What We Do
Virtual handled this problem by created Online Crisis Management Strategy. This strategy contained these following steps:
- Monitoring and analyzing conversation via digital media
- Build internal communication strategy. From calming down the Board of Directors to customer service
- Build online external communication strategy (e-mail, website, mailing list, etc). Searching and spreading the credible info and people’s comments that proved the issue was a total hoax
- Making approach with medias (detik.com)
- Responding and monitoring related discussion
- Managing until it’s all clear.
Virtual also cooperated with Cyber Crime to tracing the source.
Within 3 weeks, Virtual has successfully drop the keyword search of dangerous impact of Tehbotol Sosro, and recover its brand image. There were also appear Tehbotol Sosro lovers community that finally help to defend Tehbotol got back its positive reputation after this approach. In the end, the man who caused the hoax was found and show his responsibility.